Craving a delicious Subway sandwich but prefer to enjoy it in the comfort of your own home? Look no further! In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to recreate a mouthwatering Subway sandwich that will leave your taste buds satisfied. Get ready to enjoy the ultimate sandwich experience right from your kitchen!
For the sandwich
- Freshly baked Italian bread or your preferred bread
- Turkey, ham roast beef etc.
- Sliced cheese (cheddar, Swiss, provolone, etc.)
- Fresh vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, bell peppers, etc.)
- Condiments (mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, oil and vinegar, etc.)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For additional customization
- Prepare the bread:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and warm it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s slightly toasted.
- Slice the bread:
- Once the bread is warmed, carefully slice it open lengthwise, creating a top and bottom half for your sandwich.
- Layer the meats and cheese:
- Begin by laying a generous amount of deli meats onto the bottom half of the bread.
- Add a layer of sliced cheese on top of the meats.
- Add the fresh vegetables:
- Start with a layer of lettuce on top of the cheese.
- Follow with sliced tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and bell peppers.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the vegetables to enhance the flavors.
- Choose your condiments:
- Spread your desired condiments on the top half of the bread.
- This can include mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, oil and vinegar, or any other preferred sauces.
- Assemble the sandwich:
- Place the top half of the bread with the condiments onto the layered bottom half.
- Press the sandwich together gently, ensuring all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Customize to your taste:
- Feel free to add additional toppings according to your preferences.
- Consider adding pickles, olives, jalapeños, avocado, sprouts, or even bacon to elevate the flavor profile.
- Cut and serve:
- Carefully slice the sandwich into desired portions using a serrated knife.
- Serve the homemade Subway sandwich immediately or wrap it tightly in parchment paper for later enjoyment.
What sauces are delicious with a subway sandwich?
Subway sandwiches are known for their wide variety of sauces that add flavor and moisture to the sandwich. Here are some delicious sauce options that you can consider for your homemade Subway sandwich:
Creamy and rich, mayonnaise adds a smooth texture to the sandwich. It pairs well with most meats and vegetables, providing a subtle tanginess.
Whether you prefer classic yellow mustard or a spicier Dijon mustard, it adds a zingy and tangy flavor to your sandwich. Mustard goes particularly well with ham, turkey, and roast beef.
This staple condiment provides a slightly sweet and tangy taste, and is a great choice for those who prefer a milder flavor. It complements most meats and vegetables.
Oil and Vinegar
A classic combination, oil and vinegar provide a tangy and slightly acidic taste that enhances the flavors of the sandwich. Drizzle a small amount over the vegetables for a refreshing touch.
Creamy and full of flavor, ranch dressing adds a cool and tangy taste to your sandwich. It pairs well with chicken and turkey, and also complements the fresh vegetables.
Sweet Onion Sauce
Subway’s Sweet Onion Sauce is a popular choice, providing a sweet and savory taste that complements a variety of meats. You can make a homemade version by combining diced onions with a sweet and tangy sauce.
This sauce combines the sweetness of honey with the tanginess of mustard. It adds a delicious flavor to chicken, turkey, and ham sandwiches.
Chipotle Southwest Sauce
If you’re a fan of a smoky and slightly spicy kick, the Chipotle Southwest Sauce is a great choice. It pairs well with grilled chicken, steak, and vegetables.
For a touch of smoky and sweet flavor, barbecue sauce is a fantastic option. It goes well with chicken, roast beef, and even meatballs.
If you enjoy a spicy and tangy kick, buffalo sauce is a great choice. It adds a fiery flavor to chicken sandwiches and can be balanced out with some cooling vegetables.
Remember, these are just some of the many sauce options available, and you can mix and match them to create your own signature Subway sandwich experience. Try different and unique combinations to get the maximum out of the flavor of that particular sauce.
Tips on choosing the perfect bread
Choosing the perfect bread for your Subway sandwich is crucial as it sets the foundation for the entire flavor and texture of the sandwich. Tips for making a better bread choice is discussed below:
Consider the Bread Options
Subway typically offers a variety of bread options, such as Italian, wheat, honey oat, multigrain, and more. Assess the options available to you and choose a bread that suits your taste preferences and dietary needs.
Look for fresh bread that is soft and slightly springy to the touch. Avoid bread that feels overly hard or stale, as it won’t provide the desired texture and taste.
Texture and Density
Consider the texture and density you prefer in your sandwich. Some bread options, like Italian or white bread, tend to be softer with a lighter texture. On the other hand, wheat or multigrain bread offers a heartier and more substantial bite.
Think about the flavor profile you want to achieve. For a traditional and neutral base, opt for Italian bread. If you prefer a slightly sweeter taste, try honey oat or whole grain bread. Whole wheat or multigrain bread provides a nuttier and earthier flavor.
If you have specific dietary requirements or preferences, such as gluten-free or low-carb, look for suitable bread alternatives that align with your needs. Many stores now offer gluten-free or low-carb bread options that can be a great alternative.
Size and Shape
Consider the size and shape of the bread. Subway sandwiches are typically served in a long, rectangular shape. Ensure that the bread you choose is large enough to hold all your desired ingredients without being overly crumbly or falling apart.
Ultimately, your personal taste and preference should guide your choice of bread. If you have a favorite type of bread that you believe will complement the flavors of your chosen ingredients, go with that option.
Remember, the bread is a crucial component of the Subway sandwich experience, and selecting the right one can enhance the overall enjoyment. Don’t be afraid to try different bread options to find your perfect match.
With this homemade Subway sandwich recipe, you can recreate the iconic flavors and textures of a Subway sandwich right in your own kitchen. The best part is that you have full control over the ingredients, ensuring a customized experience tailored to your taste buds. Whether you’re hosting a gathering, packing a lunch, or simply satisfying your craving, this recipe will not disappoint.